Diablo Valley Educational Therapy offers specialized instruction for math tutoring. For example, a typical geometry tutor or algebra tutor is singularly focused on content exclusively. At Diablo Valley Educational Therapy learning is an interactive process. We leverage learning strengths to overcome learning weaknesses. Students with learning issues can learn mathematics and in many cases can excel if given specialized instruction.
We offer a free one-hour consultation to explore whether a learning issue is interfering with your child”s progress. Students with ADD, ADHD, Aspergers, ASD or Dyslexia can learn and excel in math with a math tutor that understands their learning profile. In addition, a comprehensive research based math diagnostic test is given to your child to determine content area strengths and weaknesses.
Your child”s math tutoring sessions will focus on skill deficiencies along with current mathematics topics. An individual learning plan will be developed and used in math tutoring sessions. Students learn valuable study skills that will improve their performance in their current and in future mathematics classes. The learning process includes games, direct teaching methods, and a focus on taking key concepts from a concrete level to an abstract level.
Allan Hauskens is a professional member of the Association of Educational Therapists and has experience working with children with ADD, ADHD, Aspergers, ASD or Dyslexia. He has a California High School teaching credential and has taught high school mathematics and science at the Acalanes High School, at the Martinez High School District and at Orion Academy in Moraga, California. In addition, Allan was the middle school learning specialist for Tehiyah Day School in El Cerrito. Diablo Valley Educational Therapy works with middle school and high school students with all levels of math from the four basic operations to Calculus.
Specialized Math Tutor for the following:
- Basic math tutoring
- Pre-algebra tutoring
- Algebra 1 tutoring
- Geometry tutoring
- Algebra 2 tutoring
- Trigonometry tutoring
- Pre-calculus tutoring
After School Math Tutor Sessions
Tutor sessions support students with learning issues in the acquisition of key concepts, homework completion and test readiness. Students acquire study skills that help them to independently acquire concepts, do homework and take tests. Math skills acquired enable students to become successful independent math learners. Hours are from 3 to 7:30pm Sunday through Thursday.
Students Utilize an Individualized Math Tutor Learning Plan for each Content Area
- Learning issues are not overlooked in an algebra tutor session
- Learning strengths are utilized to overcome learning weaknesses in a geometry tutor session
- Parent and student consultation meeting reviews individual learning profiles based on student assessments
- Student is given a research based diagnostic test to determine any content gaps and readiness for current mathematics content
- An individualized learning plan is developed using the diagnostic test, student assessments provided by parents or a cognitive screening by Diablo Valley Educational Therapy
- Student sets content and study skill goals for their algebra 2 tutor session
- Students are retested as frequently as necessary to determine progress towards goals
- Math skills tutor sessions can be small group sessions or one-on-one sessions
- Math skills tutor sessions are available for Algebra tutoring, geometry tutoring, or precalculus tutoring
Math Tutor Pricing
- One-on-one sessions are 125 dollars for each 55 minute session